Opiskelija-asunnot Oy Joensuun Elli’s INFORMATION NETWORK CODE OF CONDUCT – NETIQUETTE PREFACE
1. The aim of Opiskelija-asunnot Oy Joensuun Elli is to offer a good information network connection to its tenants. To guarantee appropriate conditions, it is necessary to follow the regulations set out below. The purpose of these regulations is to define the rights and responsibilities of the user of the network.
2. The rules are based on the following general principles:
- Everyone is entitled to use the network without disturbances.
- Do not cause inconvenience to others.
- Respect everyone’s right to privacy.
3. The administrators can provide users with supplementary regulations concerning particular equipment, software or the use of networks.
Administrators' obligations and rights
1. It is the obligation of the administrators to ensure appropriate conditions for users. Appointed persons will carry out practical maintenance.
2. Access to the network is granted after an application by a Tenant living at an Opiskelija-asunnot Oy Joensuun Elli housing is accepted.
3. Basic guidelines concerning the use of the network are available from the administrators. The administrators notify the users of any changes to the systems and of their effects and give advice if needed.
4. The network administration staff is bound by confidentiality.
1. The network administration staff shall have the right to restrict and regulate the use of the network in order to fulfil their obligations.
2. The administrators shall have the right to investigate and follow the operation of the network.
3. The administrators shall have the right to collect log data on communication to and from the network.
4. The administrators shall have the right to shut down all connections where necessary in order to solve an acute disruption in the system or if there is a suspicion of abuse.
Users' obligations and rights
1. To guarantee appropriate conditions for all, every user is responsible for the way they use the network.
2. Every user must always use the personal TCP/IP number assigned to them. The holder of the TCP/IP number is responsible for its appropriate use.
3. Every user must take other users of the system into account.
4. Every user is responsible for their actions related to data security. Even if you do not have any material to protect, others might have.
5. Follow all instructions.
1. Those with a right to access the information network may use the network freely as long as any restrictions, legislation and other users are taken into account.
2. Users may provide the administration with suggestions on how to develop the service.
3. The User may submit a detailed complaint to Opiskelija-asunnot Oy Joensuun Elli if they are dissatisfied with any action directed at them that is taken by the network administration staff.
Restrictions of use
1. The User must not use the network to distribute (for example, through an online service) any material or information that is contrary to good practice.
2. The User must not use the network to view or distribute (for example, through an online service) indecent or any material or information that is contrary to good practice or legislation.
3. The User must not disturb other users. This includes both direct and indirect disturbance such as wasting information network capacity.
4. The User must not set up servers or any services using external connections on a computer connected to the network.
5. Any attempt to gain access to the network using a false user ID is forbidden.
6. Connecting any other devices, in addition to a personal computer, to the network is forbidden without the permission of the administrator. A device connected to the network may only be used for receiving data communications addressed to the User.
7. Any monitoring of the network is forbidden.
8. The User must not search or use any known or new gaps in network security.
Misuse and consequences of misuse
1. Misuse of the information network includes any use that:
-is contrary to laws or good practice;
- interferes with the purpose for which the network was primarily designed;
- causes disturbance in the network or any system connected to this network;
- contradicts any regulations;
- employs any part or feature of a system which is forbidden in the guidelines;
- is prohibited by the system manager or owner.
2. In the event of network misuse, the clarifying or restrictive measures defined by the administrator will apply. The following procedure will be followed if there is suspicion of misuse:
- the administrator contacts the User to establish the nature of the activities and notifies the User of the administrator’s position on the continuance of these activities;
- depending on the nature of misuse, the User can be cautioned, and their access to the network can be restricted or entirely prohibited;
- a caution, restrictions or prohibition can be issued by administration staff. Prohibition of use can be applied in the event of internal misuse;
- the administration staff may, if deemed necessary, prohibit or restrict the use of network for the duration of an investigation.
3. The users must note that the Personal Data Act and criminal and copyright laws contain restrictions on the use of IT.
4. In the event of severe misuse or illegal activities, the police may be notified.
5. The person misusing the network is responsible for any costs incurred due to investigations and restrictions.
Data security and responsibilities
The User is responsible for protecting its own data and equipment.
Searching for or reading any information belonging to or concerning another user is forbidden without the express authorisation of that user. If the User accidentally encounters information directed or belonging to someone else, the User must not use, save or distribute this information. The network administration staff and the relevant user must be immediately notified of the incident.
Even though every effort is made to maintain the usability and security of the network, some interruptions and misuse of the network will always occur. The administrator cannot guarantee the security and confidentiality of the network nor the intactness of data transferred in the network. The administrator of the network is not responsible for any damage or loss caused to the User by using the network.